Why Medicare Open Enrollment Is So Important
Open enrollment for Medicare is an important time for people age 65 and older. Seniors can enroll or make changes to their health insurance policies through Medicare in the period – October 15 to December 7. As a Medicare subscriber, you must take some time to review your current policy, look for new options/plans, and determine if you will need higher or lower coverage levels in the future. This will help you know if changing plans can turn out to be beneficial or not.
Changes you can make during open enrollment;
- Changes to Part D – prescription drug
- Changes to Part C – Medigap and supplemental plans
- During this time, one can also enroll in a new supplemental plan
Upon the end of the enrollment period, you
would not be able to make any changes to your insurance policy. If you do not
take appropriate action during this time, you may end up with inadequate
coverage or bare penalties.
The following are the main reasons why
seniors should not miss the Medicare open enrollment period.
- The main reason why you should use this
period wisely is to ensure you are not stuck with a Medicare plan that is not
enough as per your requirements. In case you miss open enrollment, you won't
get another opportunity to make changes to your insurance plan for an entire
- It is vital to review your current coverage
before you plan on making any changes to your policy because the current policy
might be enough for the running year, but the changes Medicare would make can
affect your coverage, and you might need an additional supplemental plan.
Medicare Advantage plans will be changing for the coming year; thus, enrollees
must be aware of those changes, typically before the enrollment period ends.
- Medicare Advantage plans will expand their
coverage in the coming years. These plans will also cover some non-medical
expenses, and new plans may be offered. Besides, some plans will also cover the
cost of diet, safety equipment, and transportation to doctor’s appointments.
However, these changes will not be implemented by all Medicare Advantage plan
- Medicare Advantage subscribers should check
if these changes affect their current plan. You might get more benefits by
changing to a different, new Medicare Advantage plan or provider during the
enrollment period. You should also contact your provider in order to find if
these changes will affect your policy or not. Apart from that, insurance
companies will also notify subscribers about any changes made; thus, pay close
attention to all the information you get from your provider.
- In case you realize a need for more
comprehensive coverage or want to reduce medical costs that are a burden on
your pocket, or looking for more benefits than your plan providers, a Medicare
Advantage plan is right for you. It would be better to research and analyze
different Advantage plans to determine which one will best meet your specific
Missing the open enrollment period means
you will not be able to sign up for any of the Medicare Advantage plans unless
a qualifying event occurs. Qualifying events can include migration, losing
health insurance provided by an employer, and other major life events.
Open enrollment is no less than the perfect
opportunity for you to spare some time to figure out if you are receiving
enough coverage to fulfill your needs. Don’t miss out on this opportunity and
research plans, compare costs and coverage, and choose the one that seems best
Tips to fully Utilize the Open Enrollment
- Review your current plan, and in case you
do not have one, find out if you will need one in the coming year.
- You may also use the Medicare.gov finder
tool for coverage plan and cost comparison.
- You may also look for private insurance
companies for Part D or advantage plans to find out purchase options at
During this open enrollment period, check
if your plan is still appropriate or providers way more than what you use.
Please take advantage of open enrollment and make changes to your existing plan
or select a new plan that would help you save money, maximize benefits, and
secure you for the year we are entering.
MedPRO has a large network of Primary Care Physicians (PCPs) to choose from. Choosing the right network is also important.
You want to make sure that your specialists are also part of your Medicare
Advantage Plan. For more information on MedPRO, its network, and contracted
Medicare Advantage Plans offered, please call us at 559.450.MEDI (6334) or
visit us at www.cvmedpro.com
- Raise Your Awareness about Colorectal Cancer. It Could Save Your Life
- March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month. Know More About It
- 7 Ways To Show Your Love To Your Heart
- 8 Smart Ways to Improve Heart Health Quickly and Naturally
- The Power of Gratitude in Improving Mental Health
- 5 Simple Exercises to Keep Your Heart Healthy & Happy
- What Vitamins and Minerals do Adults Need?
- How to Keep Your Body Active While Working Remotely
- Five Heart Healthy Foods that should be Consumed in Limited Quantities
- Early Symptoms of Liver Problems that You Shouldn't Avoid
- Immunity Enhancing Foods for a Healthy Life
- Hypertension FAQs: Answers to Your High Blood Pressure Questions
- Effective Ways to Achieve Weight Loss While Staying at Home
- Handling Alzheimer’s Disease Effectively - Early Signs and Precautions
- Learn How to Control Blood Sugar with the Right Diet Plan
- Skin Cancer: Types, Symptoms, & Treatments Explained
- Tips to Get the Best Results from Your Urgent Care Visit
- What Is a Primary Care Physician, and Why Do You Need One?
- The Importance of Nutrition and Dietetics for a Healthy Lifestyle
- Know About Foods That Can Help Prevent Diabetes
- Easy-to-do Breathing Exercises to Calm Your Mind and Anxiety
- This Heart Health Month, Know How to Keep Your Heart Strong & Healthy
- Everything You Need to Know About Depression
- Energy Boosting Foods: Fight Cancer, Slow Aging, And Boost Energy
- Tips to Boost Immunity and Stay Healthy During the Winter Season
- Causes of Sleeplessness and Ways to Sleep Well Amid A Pandemic
- Social Isolation in Elderly: Here’ How COVID-19 is Affecting our Aging Adults!
- Breast Cancer- Cause, Prevention, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Cure!
- Tips to Stay Safe and Healthy This Flu Season
- Meditation Walk! Learn about its Benefits, Ways of Practice, and More!
- Panic Attacks! Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments Explained!
- Stressed and Overwhelmed? Here might be the Reasons for You to Feel Crisis Fatigue!
- Want to Protect Your Skin this Summer? Here’s How!
- What are the Advantages of Telemedicine?
- 6 Things You Should Know when Visiting a Doctor's Office during a Pandemic!
- How to Follow a Healthy Diet While Sheltering in Place?
- How to Ensure Physical & Mental Health amidst the COVID-19 Lockdown?
- Staying Protected against COVID-19 amidst Essential Errands!
- How to Protect Yourself amidst the COVID-19 Outbreak?
- Seasonal Allergies – What You Need to Know
- Coronavirus- What is it, How it Spreads, and What Preventative Measures could be Taken?
- Fall Risk in Seniors
- Urgent Care Vs. Emergent Care
- Seniors and Exercise