Thyroid Balance: A Journey into Awareness, Detection, and Management
Defining the Thyroid: Imagine a butterfly-shaped gland nestled at the neck's base. This remarkable organ orchestrates vital functions—heart rate, blood pressure, body temperature, and weight—by producing crucial hormones.
According to a report by the American Thyroid Association, around 12% of the U.S. population develop thyroid conditions at a certain point in their lifetime. Sadly, 60% of people with thyroid disease are unaware of their condition.
“Precaution is better than cure,” so understanding the role of the thyroid gland in your body, symptoms, and management can help you stay ahead of this disease.
What is the Role of Thyroid Gland?
Everyone has a thyroid gland on the front side of the neck above the collarbone. A person can feel it when it is of average size. It is also termed as an endocrine gland, which is responsible for secreting different hormones that regulate vital activities of your body, like:
- Burn fat
- Regulate metabolism
- Sexual function
- Regulate cholesterol and blood sugar
- Regulate the body’s sensitivity to other hormones
- Thought pattern
- Normal Development
What is the Impact of Dysfunctionality on your Thyroid Gland?
The thyroid gland is crucial for your well-being. Therefore, hormonal imbalances can lead to dysfunctionality, causing various problems. No matter whether the thyroid gland is secreting an abnormal amount of hormones or insufficient amount, it can hamper your body balance ultimately. It is majorly detected in women after pregnancy or during menopause.
Types of Thyroid Conditions
It means your thyroid gland is unable to secret a sufficient amount of hormones to maintain your body’s functionality. You may experience the following symptoms:
- Feel colder
- Dry skin
It is the opposite of hypothyroidism. Here, the body secretes excessive amounts of hormones, pushing you to “speed up.” You may experience the following symptoms:
- Increased sweating
- Difficulty sleeping
- Weakness in muscles
- Hair thinning
- Involuntary weight loss
Goiter is an abnormal expansion of the thyroid gland. It may not malfunction your thyroid gland, or it can occur with hyper or hypothyroidism.
It refers to an abnormal growth of thyroid cells that develops a lump within the gland. The nodules may be non-harmful but may comprise a small percentage of thyroid cancer.
It is not that popular and rare, but cancer cells may grow in the thyroid gland.
How to Balance Thyroid in your Body: Effective Tips
Incorporate physical activity into your lifestyle
Exercise is not the only thing that will heal your thyroid, but being physically active is one of the best things you can do for your overall well-being. It can help you avoid some of the symptoms related to thyroid conditions. For instance, exercise can help with weight management, healthy sleep, mood regulation, and bone health.
Depending on your thyroid condition, consult a doctor and work out for 30 minutes at least daily for muscle strengthening, healthy bowel movement, and more energy.
With physical activity, eating right can help you balance your overall well-being. Eating healthy food that includes vegetables, fruits, nuts, beans, lean meats, seafood, low-fat dairy products, and whole grains gives your body the nutrients it needs to function well.
A nutritious, portion-control diet can help you maintain a healthy weight, and high fiber boosts your metabolism. Bowel movements can help you get rid of constipation in thyroid conditions. Try to eat whole foods than processed and refined food, and limit sugar and alcohol intake.
Take the right treatment.
We all have different bodies and conditions and need a customized plan to overcome thyroid conditions. Some diet plans or medicines that work for your known person doesn’t mean they will work for you.
So, consult your doctor to understand your thyroid condition and take the right treatment plan that includes medicine and supplements.
Keep track of your mental health
Having thyroid or any other medical condition can affect your mental health because everything starts from your mind. You may feel anxious, depressed, or mood swings caused by imbalanced hormones.
It is better that you seek support from a therapist, psychologist, or physiatrist and talk about your thought pattern.
Managing stress has become a challenge for humans today. Stress is the number one issue triggering pre-existing conditions and giving rise to new health problems. Therefore, you should manage your stress to control your thyroid too. This is because stress can impact your hormones, increasing the receptor cells to thyroid hormones and reducing immunity levels.
To manage stress, indulge in meditation and hobbies, join dance or art class, plan mini-vacation, do gardening, and spend time with family and friends.
Always remember, living with a chronic health condition like thyroid is not easy. But simply tweaking your daily routine can help you manage your condition better and live a happy life. To diagnose your thyroid condition, visit a primary care physician to check your hormone levels and get the right treatment at the right time.
CVMedPro has an extensive network of healthcare providers like physicians for diagnosing and treating your thyroid condition. To know more, get in touch with our team. Call us at 866-423-0060 or visit our website – www.cvmedpro.com
- Whole Grains and Diabetes: Managing Blood Sugar through Diet
- Prostate Health and Aging: What to Expect as You Get Older
- Beyond Blood Sugar: Prioritizing Eye Wellness for Diabetics
- Managing Medications and Healthcare on the Road: Tips for Senior Travelers
- Debunking Sun Safety Myths: Dispelling Common Misconceptions about Sun Protection
- From Brain Games to Brain Health Activities That Sharpen Cognitive Abilities
- Breaking the Stigma: Men's Health Discussions and Seeking Support
- The Top 10 Health Habits for Aging Gracefully
- The Benefits of Yoga for Seniors
- The Medicare Annual Wellness Visit
- Healthy and Easy Ways to Manage Stress
- Raise Your Awareness about Colorectal Cancer. It Could Save Your Life
- March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month. Know More About It
- 7 Ways To Show Your Love To Your Heart
- 8 Smart Ways to Improve Heart Health Quickly and Naturally
- The Power of Gratitude in Improving Mental Health
- 5 Simple Exercises to Keep Your Heart Healthy & Happy
- What Vitamins and Minerals do Adults Need?
- How to Keep Your Body Active While Working Remotely
- Five Heart Healthy Foods that should be Consumed in Limited Quantities
- Early Symptoms of Liver Problems that You Shouldn't Avoid
- Immunity Enhancing Foods for a Healthy Life
- Hypertension FAQs: Answers to Your High Blood Pressure Questions
- Effective Ways to Achieve Weight Loss While Staying at Home
- Handling Alzheimer’s Disease Effectively - Early Signs and Precautions
- Learn How to Control Blood Sugar with the Right Diet Plan
- Skin Cancer: Types, Symptoms, & Treatments Explained
- Tips to Get the Best Results from Your Urgent Care Visit
- What Is a Primary Care Physician, and Why Do You Need One?
- The Importance of Nutrition and Dietetics for a Healthy Lifestyle
- Know About Foods That Can Help Prevent Diabetes
- Easy-to-do Breathing Exercises to Calm Your Mind and Anxiety
- This Heart Health Month, Know How to Keep Your Heart Strong & Healthy
- Everything You Need to Know About Depression
- Energy Boosting Foods: Fight Cancer, Slow Aging, And Boost Energy
- Tips to Boost Immunity and Stay Healthy During the Winter Season
- Causes of Sleeplessness and Ways to Sleep Well Amid A Pandemic
- Social Isolation in Elderly: Here’ How COVID-19 is Affecting our Aging Adults!
- Breast Cancer- Cause, Prevention, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Cure!
- Why Medicare Open Enrollment Is So Important
- Tips to Stay Safe and Healthy This Flu Season
- Meditation Walk! Learn about its Benefits, Ways of Practice, and More!
- Panic Attacks! Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments Explained!
- Stressed and Overwhelmed? Here might be the Reasons for You to Feel Crisis Fatigue!
- Want to Protect Your Skin this Summer? Here’s How!
- What are the Advantages of Telemedicine?
- 6 Things You Should Know when Visiting a Doctor's Office during a Pandemic!
- How to Follow a Healthy Diet While Sheltering in Place?
- How to Ensure Physical & Mental Health amidst the COVID-19 Lockdown?
- Staying Protected against COVID-19 amidst Essential Errands!
- How to Protect Yourself amidst the COVID-19 Outbreak?
- Seasonal Allergies – What You Need to Know
- Coronavirus- What is it, How it Spreads, and What Preventative Measures could be Taken?
- Fall Risk in Seniors
- Urgent Care Vs. Emergent Care
- Seniors and Exercise