How to Protect Yourself amidst the COVID-19 Outbreak?
• It is very uncommon to see something impacting not only our nation, but the entire world vastly and similarly.
• The world has seen such a phenomenon in the past, but this time, it is not the economy or recession that has affected every nation equally but a VIRUS!
• Yes, we are talking about Coronavirus, which is becoming more severe and severe with the passing of every day. So, let us dig deeper into the same!
What is COVID-19?
• COVID-19 is an untreatable disease as of now, which is caused by a new Coronavirus strain.
• Its name is derived from the initials, ‘CO’- meaning Corona, ‘VI’- meaning Virus, and ‘D’- meaning Disease. In the past, this disease was referred to as ‘2019-nCoV’ or ‘2019 novel coronavirus.’
• The virus, named COVID-19, is a new type of virus which is linked to similar virus families like the common cold and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).
COVID-19 Cases in the U.S.A
• Overall cases: 427,460
• Total deaths: 14,696
• Cases reported by Jurisdictions: 55 (50 states, Puerto Rico, the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, and the District of Columbia)
Situation in Fresno County
• Total Cases: 173
• Total Deaths: 3
• Ever Hospitalized: 37
• Recovered: 10*
What are its Symptoms?
• When it comes to the symptoms associated with coronavirus, they are identical to the symptoms of other respiratory virus infections like influenza. These include shortness of breath, cough, and or fever.
• If we go with the specific COVID-19 symptoms, it constitutes dry cough, tiredness, and fever. Apart from this, some patients may complain of diarrhea, nasal congestion, sore throat, aches and pains, and runny nose.
• Initially, these symptoms are mild and progress gradually. However, there are a lot of people who, despite being affected by coronavirus, do not show any symptoms at all.
Is there any Treatment for COVID-19?
• At present, no vaccination has been discovered to treat coronavirus. However, almost 80% of people who develop this disease recover from it on their own without requiring any special treatment.
• Also, only one out of every six COVID-19 patients may develop breathing problems and become seriously ill.
• People who are elderly, or have an underline medical problem like diabetes, heart problem, high blood pressure, etc., are likely to develop this disease more severely.
Testing for COVID-19
Most of the people recover on their own with mild symptoms. However, if you experience any of the following symptoms, immediate testing and seeking medical treatment is required:
• Difficulty breathing
• Bluish face or lips
• Pressure in chest or persistent pain
• Inability to arouse or a new confusion
If you or someone you care for has a fever and upper respiratory symptoms, such as a cough or difficulty breathing, and are concerned that they may have contracted COVID-19, here are some options for your care.
Video Urgent Care visits are now available.
Simply call (559) 450-SICK (7425) and select an appointment time. You will then receive a text message at the appointed time with a link to activate your visit. You will be connected to one of the trusted health providers from Saint Agnes Urgent Care.
Fresno County Public Health Department
Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
To inquire about testing, contact the Fresno County COVID-19 information line at (559) 600-INFO (4636).
Saint Agnes Emergency Department
As always, if you are in need of emergent care, they may visit the Saint Agnes Emergency Department or call 9-1-1.
How does Coronavirus Spreads?
The virus spreads through the following:
• Direct person-to-person contact
• Production of respiratory droplets by an infected person through talking, sneezing, or coughing
• Fomites- These are the materials on which the virus can sustain and transfer into the body of a person if he/she gets into its contact
How to Protect Yourself against Coronavirus?
1) Social Distancing
• The entire world is asking people to maintain social distancing. Why? This is due to the fact that it is the best way to keep this virus at bay.
• When you are maintaining social distancing, you are unlikely to catch this infection from an infected person through cough, sneeze, or talking.
• Also, there are a lot of people who develop no symptoms at all, and social distancing is the only way to stay protected against such individuals.
2) Regular Hand Washing
• It is recommended to wash your hands multiple times a day for at least 20 seconds, especially when you blow your nose, sneeze, cough, go to the bathroom, or are going to eat something.
• This is an effective way to get rid of the virus in case your hands catch the virus through direct contact with something.
• This is the reason it is said that one should not directly touch his/her nose, ear, or mouth since the virus can directly enter through them.
• In case, water and soap are not available at the moment; you should use a hand sanitizer (containing 60% alcohol) to wash your hands.
3) Wear a Cloth Face Mask
• Cloth face masks protect you by restricting the entry of the virus into your body through your mouth and nose.
• They are also a good option for the people who are COVID-19 positive but do not know about it and are most likely to transfer the virus.
• This is especially required in places where maintaining social distancing can be tough, like grocery and medical stores.
4) Home Precautions
This is for the people who have family members who have tested for COVID-19 and are awaiting results or have developed symptoms like sore throat, cough, and fever. The following home precautions should be taken in such cases:
• Keep them isolated and keep yourself and your pets away from them
• Wear a mask in the house all the time
• Ask them to cover their sneezes and coughs with a tissue and dispose the same at the earliest, followed by hand washing
• If possible, give them a separate bathroom and bedroom for use
• Use separate eating utensils, cups, glasses, dishes
• Use separate towels and bedding
5) Clean and Disinfect Regularly
• It is advised to clean and disinfect the touched surfaces regularly like desks, toilets, doorknobs, faucets, phones, handles, keyboards, countertops, tables, sinks, and light switches.
• Clean the surfaces that appear dirty with a soap or detergent
• Household Bleach Diluting: To prepare a bleach solution, mix 4 bleach teaspoons per quart of water or 5 bleach teaspoons (1/3rd cup) per gallon of water.
• For Alcohol Solutions: Make sure it contains 60% of alcohol.
This brings us to the conclusion that coronavirus is definitely not going to go away instantly, and one needs to take the required precautions carefully in order to avoid contracting the virus. Also, it is advised to ask your family and friends to follow the same preventive measures as without fighting together, it is not at all possible to eliminate this disease completely from society.
- 5 Simple Exercises to Keep Your Heart Healthy & Happy
- What Vitamins and Minerals do Adults Need?
- How to Keep Your Body Active While Working Remotely
- Five Heart Healthy Foods that should be Consumed in Limited Quantities
- Early Symptoms of Liver Problems that You Shouldn't Avoid
- Immunity Enhancing Foods for a Healthy Life
- Hypertension FAQs: Answers to Your High Blood Pressure Questions
- Effective Ways to Achieve Weight Loss While Staying at Home
- Handling Alzheimer’s Disease Effectively - Early Signs and Precautions
- Learn How to Control Blood Sugar with the Right Diet Plan
- Skin Cancer: Types, Symptoms, & Treatments Explained
- Tips to Get the Best Results from Your Urgent Care Visit
- What Is a Primary Care Physician, and Why Do You Need One?
- The Importance of Nutrition and Dietetics for a Healthy Lifestyle
- Know About Foods That Can Help Prevent Diabetes
- Easy-to-do Breathing Exercises to Calm Your Mind and Anxiety
- This Heart Health Month, Know How to Keep Your Heart Strong & Healthy
- Everything You Need to Know About Depression
- Energy Boosting Foods: Fight Cancer, Slow Aging, And Boost Energy
- Tips to Boost Immunity and Stay Healthy During the Winter Season
- Causes of Sleeplessness and Ways to Sleep Well Amid A Pandemic
- Social Isolation in Elderly: Here’ How COVID-19 is Affecting our Aging Adults!
- Breast Cancer- Cause, Prevention, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Cure!
- Why Medicare Open Enrollment Is So Important
- Tips to Stay Safe and Healthy This Flu Season
- Meditation Walk! Learn about its Benefits, Ways of Practice, and More!
- Panic Attacks! Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments Explained!
- Stressed and Overwhelmed? Here might be the Reasons for You to Feel Crisis Fatigue!
- Want to Protect Your Skin this Summer? Here’s How!
- What are the Advantages of Telemedicine?
- 6 Things You Should Know when Visiting a Doctor's Office during a Pandemic!
- How to Follow a Healthy Diet While Sheltering in Place?
- How to Ensure Physical & Mental Health amidst the COVID-19 Lockdown?
- Staying Protected against COVID-19 amidst Essential Errands!
- Seasonal Allergies – What You Need to Know
- Coronavirus- What is it, How it Spreads, and What Preventative Measures could be Taken?
- Fall Risk in Seniors
- Urgent Care Vs. Emergent Care
- Seniors and Exercise