Fall Risk in Seniors
A fall can happen in the blink of an eye. By recognizing the conditions under which most patients fall, you can help them avoid what could be a serious complication in their progress toward better health. Here are the top five causes of falls.
1. Impaired Vision
Cataracts and glaucoma alter depth perception, visual acuity peripheral vision and susceptibility to glare.
Solution: Add color and contrast to identify objects, such as grab bars and handrails.
Many drugs (e.g. sedatives, anti-depressants) reduce mental alertness, affect balance and gait, and cause drops in systolic blood pressure while standing. Mixing certain medications increases these effects, causing falls.
Solution: Have a home care professional carefully monitor medications and interactions.
3. Weakness, Low Balance
Weakness and lack of mobility leads to many falls.
Solution: Exercise regularly to boost strength and muscle tone.
4. Home Hazards
Most homes are full of falling hazards.
Solution: Add grab bars in the bathroom, install proper railing on both sides of stairways, improve lighting, remove loose rugs and fix uneven or cracked sidewalks.
5. Chronic Conditions
Parkinson's, heart disease and other conditions increase the risk of falling.
Solution: Enlist specially trained caregivers to ensure that patients follow their treatment plans, assist them to doctor appointments and recognize red flags.
- The Winter Blues: Understanding Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Fueling Your Body Right: Nutrition and Diet Tips for Diabetes Management
- The Link between Nutrition and Mental Health: What You Eat Matters
- Understanding Breast Cancer: Risk Factors and Prevention
- Whole Grains and Diabetes: Managing Blood Sugar through Diet
- Prostate Health and Aging: What to Expect as You Get Older
- Thyroid Balance: A Journey into Awareness, Detection, and Management
- Beyond Blood Sugar: Prioritizing Eye Wellness for Diabetics
- Managing Medications and Healthcare on the Road: Tips for Senior Travelers
- Debunking Sun Safety Myths: Dispelling Common Misconceptions about Sun Protection
- From Brain Games to Brain Health Activities That Sharpen Cognitive Abilities
- Breaking the Stigma: Men's Health Discussions and Seeking Support
- The Top 10 Health Habits for Aging Gracefully
- The Benefits of Yoga for Seniors
- The Medicare Annual Wellness Visit
- Healthy and Easy Ways to Manage Stress
- Raise Your Awareness about Colorectal Cancer. It Could Save Your Life
- March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month. Know More About It
- 7 Ways To Show Your Love To Your Heart
- 8 Smart Ways to Improve Heart Health Quickly and Naturally
- The Power of Gratitude in Improving Mental Health
- 5 Simple Exercises to Keep Your Heart Healthy & Happy
- What Vitamins and Minerals do Adults Need?
- How to Keep Your Body Active While Working Remotely
- Five Heart Healthy Foods that should be Consumed in Limited Quantities
- Early Symptoms of Liver Problems that You Shouldn't Avoid
- Immunity Enhancing Foods for a Healthy Life
- Hypertension FAQs: Answers to Your High Blood Pressure Questions
- Effective Ways to Achieve Weight Loss While Staying at Home
- Handling Alzheimer’s Disease Effectively - Early Signs and Precautions
- Learn How to Control Blood Sugar with the Right Diet Plan
- Skin Cancer: Types, Symptoms, & Treatments Explained
- Tips to Get the Best Results from Your Urgent Care Visit
- What Is a Primary Care Physician, and Why Do You Need One?
- The Importance of Nutrition and Dietetics for a Healthy Lifestyle
- Know About Foods That Can Help Prevent Diabetes
- Easy-to-do Breathing Exercises to Calm Your Mind and Anxiety
- This Heart Health Month, Know How to Keep Your Heart Strong & Healthy
- Everything You Need to Know About Depression
- Energy Boosting Foods: Fight Cancer, Slow Aging, And Boost Energy
- Tips to Boost Immunity and Stay Healthy During the Winter Season
- Causes of Sleeplessness and Ways to Sleep Well Amid A Pandemic
- Social Isolation in Elderly: Here’ How COVID-19 is Affecting our Aging Adults!
- Breast Cancer- Cause, Prevention, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Cure!
- Why Medicare Open Enrollment Is So Important
- Tips to Stay Safe and Healthy This Flu Season
- Meditation Walk! Learn about its Benefits, Ways of Practice, and More!
- Panic Attacks! Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments Explained!
- Stressed and Overwhelmed? Here might be the Reasons for You to Feel Crisis Fatigue!
- Want to Protect Your Skin this Summer? Here’s How!
- What are the Advantages of Telemedicine?
- 6 Things You Should Know when Visiting a Doctor's Office during a Pandemic!
- How to Follow a Healthy Diet While Sheltering in Place?
- How to Ensure Physical & Mental Health amidst the COVID-19 Lockdown?
- Staying Protected against COVID-19 amidst Essential Errands!
- How to Protect Yourself amidst the COVID-19 Outbreak?
- Seasonal Allergies – What You Need to Know
- Coronavirus- What is it, How it Spreads, and What Preventative Measures could be Taken?
- Urgent Care Vs. Emergent Care
- Seniors and Exercise